rss

looking for art in your office

I've always thought that you can tell the quality of the hotel by the quality of its art. If you walk into the foyer of one of the lower priced chains, what do you see on the walls? Well, I see uninspiring pieces of artwork that leave me in no doubt as to the kind of place I would be staying the night. If, however, a lucky enough to find yourself in a five star hotel, the pieces that adorn the walls in this case generally tend to be of a much higher quality and also far more inspiring.
In this article we are going to take a look at the role of art in the workplace.
Having worked in the large corporates for most of my life, I've been bombarded with the worst kind of art imaginable for most of this time. As a freelance photographer of many years, I can well appreciate the standard of work, and the frequently amazing views on offer, but why, why, why, do these pieces of photographic art have to be thoroughly spoilt by slogans, catch phrases, or other corporate waffle? "Strive to reach the top!", "Always give of your best!", "Be amazing!" None of these corporate one-liners have any place whatsoever as an accompaniment to artwork, whether photographs, prints or oil paintings.
Whatever happened to the mural? When did the trompe l'oeil draw it's last breath? My local Italian restaurant has the most amazing mural of Venice adorning its walls. When I eat there I feel as though I'm dining al fresco by the Grand Canal (the piped Italian music helps reinforce this illusion!). You know where I've found the best, most inspiring art in a public place lately? Incredibly, in the long hallways of my local hospital. Runs of wonderful watercolours, rich, colourful oils, and amazingly detailed sketches. What on earth the "big 5" believe they're hoping to achieve with these predictable sorry alternatives for real art I've no idea, but it can't be inspiration from the ranks. Interestingly, the boardroom walls were always adorned with the type of artwork I would have liked to have seen in the office space. Remember the eighties, when offices had large pot plants and windows, tasteful artworks on the walls, and the "open-plan" office was not yet conceived? Now, offices are built with removable/sliding partitions which enable you to create an even bigger, more sterile office space than ever before!
Artwork inspires. Clever use of art and colour can motivate. If you are unfortunate enough to have to spend your working hours inside an office, then the powers that be should be insightful enough to appreciate that, and understand that the last thing a "worker bee" needs is a constant reminder to "Do better", "Strive to attain your potential" or be informed that the best way to promotion is to climb up a very steep hill and plant a flag at its summit.
It doesn't have to be a great deal more expensive creating something of beauty over a piece of corporate toot. Let's follow the lead taken by my local NHS Trust and give the people what they really want: Great Art!

0 komentar:


Post a Comment

Popular Posts

 

Followers